Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott - Review

Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
Series: Fire & Flood #1
Published by: Scholastic on Feb 25th, 2014
Pages: 304
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3/5
Buy the Book   or   Add to Goodreads!

FROM GOODREADS: A modern day thrill ride, where a teen girl and her animal companion must participate in a breathtaking race to save her brother's life- and her own.

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying- and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

MY THOUGHTS: 

Fire & Flood was one of my most anticipated books of this spring. Honestly, I was trying like crazy to win a copy of this, but no such luck. Of course, I pre-ordered it and popped it open it minute I got it. The book I had been wanting so badly was finally in my hands, and it was going to be amazing. But (there's always a but) it wasn't for me. I was let down by Fire & Flood.

It started out well enough, though. Fire & Flood was my first venture into Victoria Scott's books, and I figured if I loved it as much as I thought I would that I would be picking up her other series too, but I'm not so sure I will be now. Tella's snark was hilarious. I immediately found myself cracking up out loud at some of her remarks and thoughts. Scott wastes no time jumping into the action either. Within a few chapters, Tella is already on her journey to find out what in the world the Brimstone Bleed is.

I was flipping pages pretty fast at this point, but after Tella got her animal companion, I kind of started to lose interest. I'm not really sure why. I just didn't really feel the need to finish the book anymore. Weird, I know, but I persevered and finished because I refuse to DNF a book unless I absolutely loathe it. I think maybe Tella's snark and attitude about things just started to become a little annoying to me after awhile. Plus don't even get me started on the romance. No, wait- I mean the attempt at romance. I still don't understand how you can go from hating someone and not talking to them to making out with them and loving them in a few days. It just didn't make sense to me.

Overall, I thought Fire & Flood was a good read. Did I think it was a book that you need to drop everything and read right this second? No. Did I hate it completely? Not that either, but if you are in the mood for a unique adventurous read filled with cute and badass animal companions, then Fire & Flood is a book you should check out. I could be the black sheep on this one, I'm not sure. I still haven't decided if I will pick up book two or not. I might just to see where the story goes, but at this point, I don't have a burning desire to find out either. I give Fire & Flood three hearts, because while it was entertaining and not necessarily bad, it just wasn't for me for some reason. 


Was this review helpful?
Have you read Fire & Flood?
Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for visiting Pivot Book Reviews! Don't forget to check out the popular Cover Puppies posts, where I recreate my favorite book covers with my dogs!


post signature

18 comments:

  1. I had already read Victoria Scott's other series before jumping into this one. I liked it better than I did this book but I still enjoyed this one. But you're right: Tella did get annoying after a while and I could not at all believe the romance between her and Guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. I think the romance is what ate at me the most. Because I have to have some believable romance in my books. I need to feel the feels, and I just kept rolling my eyes at this one.

      Delete
  2. That's sad that it didn't live up to your expectations, I always am extremely sad when that happens. I hate not liking books, I want them all to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!! Ugh, why can't they all just rock my socks off?! This makes me sad too!!

      Delete
  3. I am on board with you for this one, I just hated Tella! She was so self-centered and it seemed odd for her to do something for her brother.
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I liked this one more than I liked her other series, and although I also had some issues with it, I enjoyed it more than you did. Tella grew on me after the Pandoras came on board, before she was a bit annoying. I'll have my review up in the next few weeks... As you know, I'm still trying to catch up with my reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The never-ending cycle of trying to catch up on book reviews!! Haha, I know how ya feel girly! I wanted to like this one so much more. Maybe I didn't because I read it when I was in my funk. I don't know. :/

      Delete
    2. Could be, sometimes your emotions are not in the right place to connect with a book.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think it def could have been part of the issue with this one

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Fire and Flood, but would encourage you to try The Collector series. I really enjoyed the second book, The Liberator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I come across a good deal on it, I'll pick it up! Thanks for recommending it! :)

      Delete
  6. I have had this same experience with other books. I desperately want to read the book, and dive in as soon as I get the book, and then sadly don't love it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This doesn't sound like a book worth emptying your current-reads-shelf over, to be honest. I have a copy but I think I'll hold off reading for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen quite a number of meh reviews for this one so my expectations have significantly decreased, but I'm still looking forward to reading it. I sure hope I'll enjoy it better than V. Scott's Dante Walker series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it more than I did, Kazhy!! I can't wait to see what you think of it!

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs