Book Pre-Pushing is a post inspired by The Perpetual Page-Turner's Save the Datefeature. Every once and a while, I get the chance to read a book that doesn't release until later in the year, and as such, I can't post my review until closer to that date. BUT I really need to flail about said book, and since I like to push books into people's hands, I thought I could list a few reasons why I want to pre-push, per say, this book before I share my
Compulsion by Martina Boone
Published by: Simon Pulse
Releases on: October 28th, 2014
Series: The Heirs of Watson Island #1
Format: ARC - paperback
Genre: Paranormal, Gothic
Source: For Review
FROM GOODREADS: Beautiful Creatures meets The Body Finder in this spellbinding new trilogy.
Three plantations. Two wishes. One ancient curse.
All her life, Barrie Watson has been a virtual prisoner in the house where she lived with her shut-in mother. When her mother dies, Barrie promises to put some mileage on her stiletto heels. But she finds a new kind of prison at her aunt's South Carolina plantation instead-- a prison guarded by an ancient spirti who long ago cursed one of the three founding families of Watson Island and gave the others magical gifts that became compulsions.
Stuck with the ghosts of a generations-old feud and hunted by forces she cannot see, Barrie must find a way to break free of the family legacy. With the help of sun-kissed Eight Beaufort, who knows what Barrie wants before she knows herself, the last Watson heir starts to unravel her family's twisted secrets. What she finds is dangerous: a love she never expected, a river that turns to fire at midnight, a gorgeous cousin who isn't what she seems, and very real enemies who want both Eight and Barrie dead.
First reaction to cover: So pretttyyy. Wait. Are those two people making out in the middle? I wanna make out with someone in this pretty place! *sad face*
First reaction to synopsis: Beautiful Creatures? Plantations? Wishes? Curses? Southern gothic? NEED. THIS. NOW.
First tweeted reaction after reading: (via @PIVOTBOOKREVIEW) "I spent my whole day in bed reading Compulsion. No, I'm not ashamed of this BECAUSE I LOVED THIS BOOK TO PIECES, SUGAR! I'm happy dancing from all the feels!"
Reasons to pine after Compulsion:
- The main character, Barrie, is not only headstrong, but also, a downright hoot! I adored Barrie, and her personality from the start. She has a very unique view on the things around her. I felt bad for the shitty deals life had been handing her, but she shouldered through the heartache.
- The secondary characters felt like people I've known my whole life. Aunt Pru and Mark sum up the amount of people Barrie has to rely on. Of course, Pru is new to her life, so it takes Barrie a little while to warm up to her, but Barrie and Mark... Ah, I can't put into words how much their relationship meant to me. I loved his uplifting, positive attitude despite his shadowed future.
- The love interest. Eight Beaufort. What is it about a southern gentleman? Well, Eight Beaufort has that something. Le sigh.
- SOUTHERN GOTHIC. Two generic words that don't make much of an appearance in YA these days, but I'm glad this one did. I was in need of a southern read to dive into, and Compulsion's atmosphere did just the trick.
- Spooky Spooks. Ancient spirits and curses... OoOoOoOo (That was supposed to be my ghostly voice) Seriously though, this was such a unique take on spirits. I can honestly say I have never read anything quite like it.
- Page-turning suspense. The promise of secrets being revealed and enemies pursuing kept me reading up til the point where I had nothing left to read.
Compulsion is the southern gothic you have all been waiting for. Filled with love, loss, revenge, secrets, spirits, and curses, what more could you possibly ask for? Compulsion nails it!
Put this one on your wish lists, friends, or even better, pre-order it! Psst. Save your receipts. I hear there may be some pretty epic giveaways for anyone who does! :)
Still not convinced? Look for my FULL review in September!!