REVIEW: Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas
Published by Simon & Schuster UK on August 14th, 2014
Series: No
Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
BUY THE BOOK  or ADD IT TO GOODREADS!

From Goodreads: It all comes down to this. Oliver, Ethan, and I. Three teens venture into an abandoned lake house one night. Hours later, only two emerge from the burning wreckage. Chloe drags one Reznick brother to safety, unconscious and bleeding. The other is left to burn, dead in the fire. But which brother survives? And is his death a tragic accident? Desperate self-defense? Or murder...? Chloe is the only one with the answers. As the fire rages, and police and parents demand the truth, she struggles to piece the story together- a story of jealousy, twisted passion and the darkness that lurks behind even the most beautiful faces...

My Thoughts: 

Dear Dangerous Boys,

Well, I'll admit after finishing Dangerous Girls and ab-so-freaking-lutely LOVING it, I was jonesing for some more Abigail Haas epic-ness in my life, but unfortunately, you're a tough book to get ahold of in the U.S. if someone wanted you in paperback form (which is me because I don't read e-books). So unfortunately, I put off ordering you for a few months, because I hate waiting about 2 weeks for a book from the Book Depository to arrive, but a few weeks ago, I just couldn't stand waiting anymore and placed the order. I literally squealed when I finally found you waiting in my mailbox, because I knew you were going to blow my mind. I read you in one sitting, which is hard for me around this time of the year because I'm overworked and under-slept (I don't think that's a word, but it sounds good), but I forced myself to do it. Sadly for me, you just weren't as epic as I thought you would be. Cue Becca's major sad face.

You follow the story of Chloe, who is just a regular recently graduated teen counting down the days until she skips town and her crappy home life to go to college. Everything changes when Chloe meets Ethan, the cute new guy in town. Alternating in past/present chapters in true Abigail Haas fashion, we follow Chloe, Ethan, and Oliver, who ultimately venture to an empty lake house one night. A few hours later, the lake house is engulfed in flames, with only two people emerging from the burning wreckage, and we are left with a bunch of questions. Who was left behind? Was this an accident? Self-defense? Or cold-blooded murder? 

I really liked Chloe....in the beginning. I understood her wanting to get out of dodge, because honestly? If I were in her position, I'd want out ASAP too. But as your pages kept turning, I grew to not like her and the way she treated Ethan. I really really really adored Ethan. He was the perfect boyfriend and if she doesn't want him, she can sure as heck give him my number any time. I didn't understand her fascination with his brother at all. I didn't like Oliver at all. I didn't want what was developing to develop at all. I'm sensing a lot of confusion on my part with her actions. I just can't even with them right now.

I mean, all in all, you kept me guessing til the end at what ultimately went down in that lake house. It kept me turning the pages deep into the night when I definitely should have been getting some sleep eye. Ultimately that's what I wanted from you. But in the end, you just left me feeling shorted. I wanted to be freaking mind blown like I was with Dangerous Girls, and even though I didn't guess the ending, it still didn't blow me out of the water. Something was just.....missing with you, Dangerous Boys. I haven't pin-pointed exactly what it was. Maybe it's because I started to resent Chloe. I'm really not sure, but I wanted more out of you than what I got, and for that, I'm going to hand you three hearts, because while you didn't blow me away like your predecessor, you still entertained me. You still thrilled me at points. You still shocked me. Just not in the same ballpark that DG did. 

Feeling sad and let-down,

Becca


Have you read Dangerous Boys? What did you think? Did you think it was just as amaze-balls as Dangerous Girls, or did it leave you wanting more like it did with me? What did you think about Chloe's decision and which brother she ultimately chose? (NO SPOILERS THOUGH!) Let's discuss!


post signature

4 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I read this, but I was definitely pleased with her decision. The one that died was a creepy, manipulative shmuck, as far as I remember. I think I preferred DG a little more, but ultimately I think Abigail Haas' writing is epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree agree agree! He was cray cray! I didn't understand why she was so fascinated with him. If she wouldn't have let him die, I would've thrown the book at the wall probably. Yeah, I'll definitely still be reading more AH writing in the future!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I haven't read these, but you have me wanting to read Dangerous Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aweee, so sad that this one wasn't as good as Dangerous Girls! I do have it, had since release day actually, but I still haven't read it, I hope I'll get to read it soon though!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs