ARC REVIEW: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Monday, December 29, 2014


This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Published by: Disney-Hyperion on December 23rd, 2014
Series: Starbound #2
Pages: 390 
Format: ARC Paperback
Genre: Science Fiction
Source: For Review
Rating: 5/5
BUY THE BOOK or ADD IT TO GOODREADS!

From Goodreads: The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war.

Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as a prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.


My Thoughts:

Dearest This Shattered World,

Oh, how I wanted to fly through your addicting pages with lightning speed, unfortunately for me, I had just undergone surgery and subsequently had to read you very slowly because of all the meds I was on. Every time I sat down to read you, I had to have a war with my eyeballs because you are so dang good, This Shattered World, but alas, the meds always came away with a victory, forcing me to fall asleep with merely a chapter or two of you read. To say this made me depressed is an understatement. I was definitely kicking myself in the rear for not starting you before the whole surgery thing. Despite how long it took me to read you, that has nothing to do with your beautiful story. In fact, I'm 110% sure that I LOVED you even more than I did These Broken Stars, and on one hand, I'm almost glad it took me so long to read you, because I was able to savor each and every word of you that much longer, which was pure and utter bliss.

Don't get me wrong. I totes loved Tarver and Lilac, your two MC's in These Broken Stars, but Jubilee and Flynn....*le sigh* I just wanted to grab their heads and smoosh them together so they would just kiss already! The anticipation for that killed me! Maybe I should back up a little bit before I start rambling more about one of my new favorite OTP's, don't you think? Well, you follow Jubilee Chase, who is the Captain of the forces sent to a planet Avon to help control the planet's rebellious colonists, which just so happen to be led by our other MC, Flynn Cormac. Flynn ends up kidnapping Jubilee to try to use her for a trade for medical supplies etc., but when his people find out about Lee and try to kill her, Flynn and Lee make a break for it and end up caught together in the middle of a war that escalates more and more by the minute.

I think the reason you worked so much for me, This Shattered World, is because despite Jubilee and Flynn being sworn enemies and knowing that they should not trust each other whatsoever, they still try to see the other person's side. Sure, they fight each other a lot in the beginning, but they ultimately grow on each other, and becoming even more kickass together than they were seperately. They make an awesome team (and couple!). Also, hate-to-love relationships are the best kind to read, in my opinion. I eat those relationships up for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner, if you get what I'm saying. They are my muse, but they only work when done correctly, and correctly done you were, This Shattered World. Lee and Flynn both know they have feelings for each other, but never once do they say they love each other. They are smart enough to realize that, 'hey, this is a high stakes game and we might just have the hots for each other bc of that; so there's no time for love right now, but maybe later when we have time to actually get to know each other'. Those types of relationships are more believable, and work better in the long run in my opinion. I have a higher hope for HEA's if the couple likes each other for awhile first then it grows to love. Whoa, I'm talking way too much about love interests right now, so I'll try to get back on track.

Your setting on Avon and off was magnificent, painted in my mind with such vivid details that I could see the bunker Lee stays in, the bar her and her mates frequent, the swamps, the sun less atmosphere, caves, etc. The world-building was just out of this world, and brilliantly laid out without overwhelming me with all that scientific mumbo jumbo. I easily understood everything, and then the action. Your authors, Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, definitely know how to hook a chapter. It seemed like every time I got to the end of a chapter, something bat shit crazy was happening, and I had to know what happened, but then my pain killers would kick in and snoooooze Becca was out. 

Seriously though, This Shattered World, I already admitted I loved you more than your previous installment, which makes me nervous and also extremely excited for your next, because what if I love it even more than I do you? I mean, yeah, that's friggin awesome, but also, I'm scared I'm going to build it up too much in my head, but if one thing is true, your authors know their craft and proved to me that they are just gonna keep getting better and better, and I can't wait to have my mind blown by whatever comes at me in book 3. 

Glad I can see the stars from my planet,

Becca

P.S. For those wondering, if couple #1 makes an appearance in book #2, the only hint I will give you is two thumbs up! :)

Let's discuss!
Have you read This Shattered World? What did you think?
Hate it or Love it?
post signature


8 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved This Shattered World, though not quite as much as These Broken Stars. I also loved the characters in this so much and totally wanted to smoosh their faces together! The setting of Avon was really cool but I was just expecting a little more mystery. TBS totally blew my mind and this had some great twists but it didn't have as much shock value for me. I'm really excited to see where book 3 goes though!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was just something about This Shattered World that grabbed my attention better than in These Broken Stars. I remember when I read TBS last year that I had moments where I was getting bored. I didn't have that at all with TSW. But I really am excited to see where they take it in Book 3! I'm sure it's going to be just as great! I'm glad you still loved TSW if not quite as much as TBS! :D

      Delete
  2. WOOOHOOOOO!! SO SO HAPPY TO HEAR YOU ADORED THIS ONE!! *does happy dance* That makes me even more sure that I will love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you loved this one because now I am even more crazy excited! I still have yet to read that Tarver/Lilac short story too but ohmygosh they both look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the short story either! But this one, I can guarantee, IS amazing! Enjoy sweetie! :)

      Delete
  4. So glad you loved this one! I hope I do too, I'm so excited! :D

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs