REVIEW: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Friday, November 28, 2014


The DUFF:Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger
Published by: Little Brown/Poppy on January 1st, 2010
Series: No
Pages: 280
Format: Paperback
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5/5
BUY THE BOOK or ADD IT TO GOODREADS!

From Goodreads: Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "the Duff," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him. 

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
My Thoughts:

Dear The Duff,

I'll admit I've been checking you out on amazon for quite some time. You actually have been sitting in my wish list for longer than I care to admit. You see, I'm just getting into the whole 'contemporary' thing so I was a bit hesitant to take the plunge and purchase you, until the other day, when the trailer for the movie version of you hit the interwebz. Holy moly! Immediately after seeing that, I went to the the bookstore, grabbed the lone copy of you sitting on their shelves, and read you in one sitting. 

Your unique story is about a girl named Bianca, who after an ill-fated night at a teen club with her friends, is called The Duff in her group of besties. Well, a duff is a Designated Ugly Fat Friend and of course, Bianca is humiliated when Wesley Rush calls her that to her face, so much so that she throws her cherry coke in his face. But things change for Bianca when her home life goes awry, ultimately leading Bianca to search out a distraction-- which ends up being the previously mentioned Wesley. Think of it as a friends with benefits situation, except they aren't friends. Bianca despises the man whore that Wesley is, but over time, she realizes she may have pegged Wesley the wrong way and starts having those icky things called feelings for him.

Let me start by saying I adored Bianca. She was an unlikely protagonist, that we hardly ever see in the contemp genre. She was a realist, I felt. I loved that she didn't believe in love in high school. Not that I don't because I totally do in certain circumstances. It was just so refreshing reading about a character who didn't just fall 'in love' immediately with the guy. Oh and Wesley? God, I hated him at the beginning. I couldn't believe what an ass he was, but much like with Bianca, he grew on me. Gosh I'm still swooning over Wesley Rush. The ending was just too cute for words. 

Although seeing the movie trailer for you, The Duff, was what ultimately made me read you, it does look vastly different from how you played out. Mostly because there's quite a bit of hanky panky inside your pages. *fans self* But the voice and characters and unique concept kept me turning your pages. Not only that but there are in depth family issues that Bianca has to deal with. I felt so horrible for what she was having to go through, and totally understood why she turned to Wesley for a distraction from it all. I'm a firm believer that whether people agree or not, teens have sex in high school. It's reality, and shying away from that because it's a taboo subject for some is ridiculous. I'd be hesitant to show you to the younger side of the high school spectrum, but I could almost overlook the age requirement I'd set for you merely because of the message your author, Kody Keplinger, weaved into your story. Everyone feels like the Duff of their group of friends. It blew me away, and I can totes understand how she became such a well known author at such a young age. Honestly, I think you're a book that needs to be read by the masses. You made me laugh and cry and swoon in all the right places. I would however advise people to read you before they see your movie version; mostly because I have a feeling it's going to be quite a bit different. It still looks hella hilarious though! FIVE HEARTS!

Still swooning over Wesley Rushhhhh,

Becca


Let's discuss!! Have you read The DUFF? Liked it, Loved it, or Hated it?

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Yes! So glad you enjoyed this one, Becca - I did, too! Have you seen the trailer for the movie? I think it has the same atmosphere as the book, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I wouldn't have really given this one much of a second look before reading your review Becca, but now I feel like I really must read this one!
    Fantastic review as always girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this book too! It's got a meaningful message and was just so much fun to read! Thanks for the lovely review :D

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs