REVIEW - Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker

Monday, November 10, 2014

Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker
Published by: Harper Teen on October 21st, 2014
Series: No
Pages: 336
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Gothic/Paranormal Fantasy
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5

FROM GOODREADS: It's an oppressively hot and sticky morning in June when Sterling and her brother, Phin, have an argument that compels him to run into the town swamp -- the one that strikes fear in all the residents of Sticks, Louisiana. Phin doesn't return. Instead, a girl named Lenora May climbs out, and now Sterling is the only person in Sticks who remembers her brother ever existed.

Sterling needs to figure out what the swamp's done with her beloved brother and how Lenora May is connected to his disappearance -- and loner boy Heath Durham might be the only one who can help her.

This debut novel is full of atmosphere, twists and turns, and a swoon-worthy romance.

MY THOUGHTS:

Dearest Beware the Wild,

Holy cow! Let me just start by saying, I was not expecting to be blown out of the water by you, but whoa. I totes was. I mean, it's not very often that a debut author can wow me as much as yours did. I sped read through you during one of my busiest work weeks of the year. Usually I don't get to read that much during what I call hell week, but I made the time to read and savor you. You. were. so. UNIQUE! And hypnotizing. And I'm gushing, aren't I?

Well, Beware the Wild, you follow the story of Sterling, who gets in a fight with her brother Phin one morning and he ends up running off into the swamp that everyone in town is warned about never going near, and a few hours later, a girl named Lenora May steps out of the swap. All of a sudden, no one remembers Phin except Sterling and Lenora May takes Phin's place. Everyone swears up and down that Lenora May is Sterling's sister and always has been. They pretty much think Sterling has gone a little cuckoo in the head, if you know what I mean. That is, everyone except Heath Durham.

I really liked Sterling as the main character. I felt everything the way she felt them, even if some of the stuff she did, I didn't fully understand. I couldn't even imagine going through what she did, and Heath? I liked me some Heath!!! He definitely gave me some swoonage. As far as the other characters? I didn't really care for Lenora May at all. She drove me nuts, even when Sterling started changing her tune when it came to her. It was annoying, but near the end, I understood and everything, but grrrrrr. I was so frustrated during that part of you, Beware the Wild.

Your atmosphere was wicked, though. I've never been to Louisiana, but you were everything I imagine it to be like! You definitely had one heck of a plot -- full of twists. Once I thought I knew what was happening....nope, plot twist. I think that's what had me turning your pages so fast. I had to know wth was going on, because everything just kept getting crazier and more action-packed and I'm running out of breath just talking about it. (Except I'm typing this, but still)

Honestly, Beware the Wild, you are book that I wouldn't mind seeing made into a movie. You were that damn good. You were unique and unlike anything I've ever read. I'm desperate to read something else from your author. If anyone was curious about you, I would push you into their hands if they enjoyed something like Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. You get four stars from me, Beware the Wild!!! Fabulous storytelling, Natalie! 

Wild about you,

Becca



Have you read Beware the Wild?
What did you think?
Let's discuss!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I love this cover. I've also never heard anything like this before in the book world. It seems super intriguing and mysterious. I MUST GET MY HANDS ON IT!

    Love the review!

    -Amber @ bookish wonders

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So excited to hear you liked this one so much! I've been so very curious about it for quite a while and I hope to get my hands on it soon-ish!
    Great review Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked this! I loved it as well. The setting was so real for me - that swamp. Woah. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs