If I Lie by Corrine Jackson - Review

Friday, April 4, 2014
If I Lie by Corrine Jackson
Published by: Simon Pulse on Aug 8th, 2012
Pages: 276
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5/5
Buy the Book  or  Add it to Goodreads!!

FROM GOODREADS: A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception. 

Quinn's done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey's not just any guy- he's serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small military town.

Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she's vowed to keep- secrets that aren't hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she'll go to protect her boyfriend... and her promise.

MY THOUGHTS: 

Wow. This was an intense read. I picked up If I Lie because Jamie from The Perpetual Page Turner was raving about it, and I just couldn't immerse myself in the other book I was trying to read. If I Lie was sitting on my shelf, taunting me to pick it up. I simply couldn't resist, and as soon as I read the first sentences, I was hooked. If I Lie was a book that I knew would keep me up the rest of the night until I finished it. I. Couldn't. Stop. Reading. 

I immediately related with Quinn. I went through some intense bullying during my senior year, and the emotions Quinn was feeling were a little too close to home. I rooted for her to overcome it all, and hold her head high, but I know from experience, holding your head high when everyone around you completely hates your guts, is one of the hardest things to do. Quinn is the best type of friend to have on top of that. She sticks to her word. Carey lays a pretty heavy secret on her shoulders right before he leaves, and just expects her to deal with it -- without considering the outcome, and Quinn just does it without hesitation. I felt for her though. At some point, keeping another's secret doesn't seem worth it anymore. I'm not sure I would have been able to hold out as long as she did. Teens are cruel creatures, and I hate hate HATE what they do to her.

I was in the mood for a book that would tug at the heart stings, and If I Lie did that- and more. It's been awhile since I've cried from a book, but If I Lie definitely fixed that. If I Lie is not a light read. I absolutely loved reading about her relationship with George, and all their photography lessons. George is basically the only person Quinn has, and even then, she doesn't out Carey. The big secret was one I didn't see coming, but when it was revealed, I sort of felt like I knew it was going to be that. All in all, if you want to read a book that beautifully combines the horrors of high school bullying and the nonjudgemental close relationship between a young, strong girl and a senile, loving old man, If I Lie is a book you shouldn't miss. If I Lie gets five hearts from me! 


Was this review helpful?
Have you read If I Lie?
Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for visiting Pivot Book Reviews! Don't forget to check out the popular Cover Puppies posts, where I recreate my favorite book covers with my dogs!



post signature

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic review, Becca! I had heard good reviews for this one, and yours reinforced the idea that I need to read this one soon!
    Not much romance in this one, is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! Yes, you do!! Not much romance at all. Just a smidge near the end, but it isn't much at all! I'm sure you would like this one!

      Delete
  2. I will have to check this one out, I am really trying to expand my genre horizons!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be a good one to help you venture into a new genre! I really enjoyed it, Missie! I hope you do too! :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I read it last year and loved it! It's a really emotional YA story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! Yes, it is VERY emotional, but I enjoyed it!! I'm glad you did too! :)

      Delete
  4. Great review, Becca! I read If I Lie about a year and a half ago, and it's stuck with me. It was very well-written and very realistic. And oh! I really felt for Quinn as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nearly two weeks since I read If I Lie, and it's still stuck in my head!! It was my very first Corrine Jackson book to read, and it definitely made me want to read more from her! I'm glad you enjoyed it too!!

      Delete
  5. Loved this book! It was my first 5 star read of 2014. I recommend it whenever I can because more people need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely a book that I think I will be recommending to more people. I think it is one of those books that just didn't get much attention when it came out. I just happened to stumble across it at Half Price Books, and thought my mom would enjoy it. She loved it, and then I saw Jamie's review and knew I had to read it to see what all the fuss was about! I'm really glad I did!

      Delete
  6. Isn't this one just amazing?!?! So emotionally fraught!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! YES!!! It was just so perfect. It really gave me all the feels.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs