Bookish Genders

Sunday, April 27, 2014
GENDERIZING BOOKS...

This is something that happened earlier tonight, and I haven't been able to get my mind off of it. It's been bugging the hell out of me, and I really think this is an issue that needs to be discussed STAT.

If you follow me on Instagram (@PIVOTBOOKREVIEWS), you know that the majority of my pictures are of books that I indulge in buying. I love my books, and I love taking pictures of my books. Well, a newish user found my account (most likely from the billions of hastags I use), and found a picture of one of my recent book hauls, which included Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins, which I admit I haven't gotten to yet. However, he (who shall not be named) liked the picture, and commented that he really wanted to read it, but his mom wouldn't let him. 

You wanna know why?

BECAUSE (SHE SAYS) IT'S A GIRL BOOK...

-_-

Excuse me, but are you friggin kidding me right now? Your kid LOVES to read, right? Number one, you should be ECSTATIC just about that fact. When I was in high school, I was bullied for the mere fact that I enjoyed reading. Even to this day, (I'm 23) people give me shit about it, but do I care? Not now, because it's what I love. But when you're in high school and being judged because of what you enjoy doing in your free time, the majority of kids STOP doing it just to fit in. So personally, I believe you should be happy that your kid loves to read so much and doesn't give two shits about what others think about that fact. 

Second of all, who are you to judge if a book is just for boys or just for girls? If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you decide if it was just for boys or girls? By the cover? By the gender of the POV?

HA! Didn't your mother teach you 'NOT TO JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER'?!?! It may be just me, but I'm pretty sure everyone was taught that particular lesson. And as to the gender of the POV? Who the hell cares if it's a male or female? As far as I'm concerned, males and females go through the same types of emotional situations. Sure, they may handle them in different ways, but I feel that if you educate yourself (through books, HELLO) about the way the opposite gender deals with certain things, then you are a pretty badass, educated individual. AND I COMMEND YOU!!

And finally, just because you want to read a book told from the opposite sex POV from yourself, doesn't change your sexuality. I have proof of that. One of my best friends is a male, who is straight, and actually prefers reading from a female POV rather than a male. It is all a matter of preference, and I really don't think ANYONE, whether you are a parent or not, has the right to determine if a book is just for a certain gender or not. 

The fact that parents actually do this, ticks me off to no end (if you couldn't tell by now). 

LET IT GOOOOOO.

Yes, I just broke out in Frozen lyrics. But seriously, let it go. Let your kids read whatever the hell they want. Well, maybe not erotica, but you get what I'm saying. Let them embrace themselves, and be who they are. Because trust me, all you are doing is holding them back. 

If they want to read a book that you define as 'just for girls', what is the worst that can happen? What are you afraid of? If it's their sexuality (which I'm presuming), a book isn't going to change that. We are born who we are. It's not a choice. It's not a friggin choice what we like. It's as easy as me saying that I like Lucky Charms instead of liking Raisin Bran. My taste buds weren't made for Raisin Bran- they were made to like friggin LUCKY FRIGGIN CHARMS!!!! Just like I wasn't made to enjoy every book told from a male's POV. Like it or not, it's just the way I was hardwired up in the head. 


DEAL WITH IT. 
(AND let  your friggin kids deal with it, and ENJOY themselves by reading whatever the hell they want!) 
*drops MIC*

post signature

8 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I love this post to no end. PREACH IT! I recently bought Rebel Belle and yeah, there is a necklace on the cover BUT THERE IS A KNIFE TOO so if you ask me, that doesn't seem "girly" at all. Plus, I what reading the syniopsis and it sounds like the female lead is badass. I am tired of people judging covers or people that read in general. I mean, I know some guys may feel uncomfortable reading a book with a "girl" cover like the old covers to Stephanie Perkins books, but if they don't give a shit, all the more power to them.

    Again, loved the post, really well said!

    Amber @ bookish wonders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! THANK YOU!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!!

      Delete
  2. *Applauses* The girl book/boy book argument always makes me want to throw something. It puts them into BOXES! (And I hate societal boxes, always.)

    (Also, you know things have gotten serious once Frozen lyrics are thrown into the mix.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *standing ovation*
    YESSSS!! I agree with you 100%!! Reading is good and there is no such thing as books for girls or book for boys. There are books with more action, more romance, less romance, more death... and they would appeal to different kind of people, at different times of their lives!
    Freaking stop with the bloody stereotypes and bullshit and embrace who we are with each one of our kinks and nuances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* Thank you!!! Agree with you 100 million billion gazillion percent!!! :)

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more, Becca. And well said!! *cheers* As a mom of 3 (2 girls, 1 boy) I'm thrilled for them to read whatever they want. And I'm blessed to have 3 readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very blessed, Brandee! I know with most kids, you have to practically force them to read!!! I'm glad you agree with me though so thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs