Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein - Book Review

Sunday, February 9, 2014
Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
Series: Code Name Verity #2
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Pages: 368 pages
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Historical Fiction
Source: Gifted
Rating: Infinite amount of hearts!!!
Buy the Book   or    Add it to Goodreads

FROM GOODREADS: While flying an Allied fighter plane from Paris to England, American ATA pilot and amateur poet, Rose Justice, is captured by the Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp. Trapped in horrific circumstances, Rose finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery and friendship of her fellow prisoners. But will that be enough to endure the fate that's in store for her?

Elizabeth Wein, author of the critically-acclaimed and best-selling Code Name Verity, delivers another stunning WWII thriller. The unforgettable story of Rose Justice is forged from heart-wrenching courage, resolve, and the slim, bright chance of survival.

MY THOUGHTS:

Wow. I'm at a loss for words again at the spectacular genius that is Elizabeth Wein. Rose Under Fire was nothing less than amazing, just like it's predecessor. Just fantastic. I could list tons of adjectives to describe the amazing-ness of Rose Under Fire, but the list would be never-ending so I've decided to spare you.

Rose Justice is a survivor. The things she went through are just unspeakable, and the horrifying things her friends go through are even worse, if that's possible. It seriously makes me sick to know that this stuff actually happened during WWII. How could another human being do that to countless others? I have absolutely no idea what kind of human could do it. Like I said before, I'm speechless.

The friendships formed throughout Rose Under Fire are so heart-wrenching. The loyalty and compassion shown is just so overwhelming. It makes me cry just writing about it. Wein paints a picture of loss and horrible conditions and wraps them up with a wonderful story, and even though it is fiction, it is based on actual events.

I adored all of Rose's poems that were interspersed throughout the novel. They gutted me. I'm not the biggest poetry fan, but I am a fan of Rose's poetry. It was so beautiful. 

I also adored seeing a few of the characters from Code Name Verity make an appearance in this book! 

Overall, Rose Under Fire is undeniably one of my favorite books of all time now. I will be rereading it in the future along with Code Name Verity, and I think everyone should read both books at sometime in their lives, like I said in my review of CNV. They are just so amazing, and I can't state it enough to warrant the amazing-ness of them!! Do yourself a favor, and pick them both up today, along with lots of tissues, because it will no doubt make you cry!!! I give Rose Under Fire an infinite amount of hearts, right there with the rating I gave Code Name Verity. These are books that shouldn't be overlooked, and they will no doubt, be sticking with my for a long time!


X INFINITY!!!!!


Was this review helpful?
Have you read Rose Under Fire?
Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for visiting Pivot Book Reviews! Don't forget to check out the popular Cover Puppies posts, where I recreate my favorite book covers with my dogs! Also, if you followed me, I would be forever grateful! :)


post signature

12 comments:

  1. I have this one on my tbr shelves, but I'm so glad you loved it so much! I was so impressed with her first book, and this sounds just as good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! Although I think I enjoyed Code Name Verity a smidge more, Rose Under Fire is still an amazing read, Kate!! I'm sure you will love it too!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh! I loved Code Name Verity, this is going on my TBR right now!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I hope you enjoy Rose Under Fire just as much, Missie! :)

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this book so much. I keep hearing such amazing things about Code Name Verity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS! :) Code Name Verity is so worth picking up! You should check it out, Pamela!!

      Delete
  4. Clearly I really need to read this one (and Code Name Verity) and just cry my eyes out completely!!
    Thanks for the great review, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DO!! I will peer pressure you into reading them and then making cupcakes! How about that?! ;)

      Delete
  5. This sounds amazing! I still haven't read Code Name Verity, but I'll have to move it up my reading pile. The friendships seem really good in this one, too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes!!! Thanks Montana!! I cannot wait to hear what you think when you read them :D

      Delete
  6. Hah! I just recommended this to you, and then was browsing your blog and saw you had reviewed it. Good review.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs